Child Protection and Safeguarding
Child protection and safeguarding issues are given the highest priority in our school. All staff take seriously their responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children in their care. Our Child Protection Policy details the procedures that are in place to report and record any concerns about a pupil’s well-being. All staff receive regular training.
Staff Safeguarding Guidance and Training informs all of the following:
- Procedures to safeguard children and young people
- Awareness-raising about abuse in order to overcome barriers to children and young people reporting their concerns
- Helping adults recognise the signs and indicators that might give rise to concern
- How to respond to concerns about abuse of children and young people
- How to respond to children and young people making an allegation of abuse
- Ways in which adults can raise concerns about unacceptable behaviour by other adults
- Specific issues such as school trip adult-pupil ratios, photography and images on the internet, physical contact, one-to-one coaching, journeys in cars, conduct on school trips, etc.
All members of staff, governors, parent helpers and other adults working or helping in school are checked through the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) to ensure they have no criminal convictions that would preclude them from working with children. When appointing new members of staff the selection panel will always contain at least one member trained in safer recruitment issues.
As a school we are also aware that teaching and actively managing e-safety issues are a part of our safeguarding role. You may wish to visit our E-Safety page for further details, or download the Parents and Carers checklist to keeping children safe online:
There are designated members of staff within school who will decide if any welfare issues should be discussed with or referred to Social and Caring Services.
Shelley School Designated Members of Staff are:
Mrs Kirsty Fitzscott, Head Teacher - Designated Safeguarding Lead
Mrs Rachel Sillett, SENCO - Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
Mrs Linda Scott, Learning Mentor - Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
Mr Stuart Coupe, Senior Leader - Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
Mrs Jody Morris - Jones, Designated Safeguarding Governor
Our Child Protection Policy can be viewed or downloaded from our Key Policies page, or can be obtained from the school office; please ring and request a paper copy if you require one.